A Better WayView The Other Way
At Kaiser Permanente, pharmacy services are included as part of our collaborative approach to care. Pharmacists work closely with doctors and specialists, and share access to our electronic health record, enhancing safety, efficiency, and cost savings.
- Greater cost management—we leverage our organizational purchasing power to manage costs from the start, negotiating prescription drug prices, buying drugs in bulk, and operating our own pharmacies and warehouses.
- Standardized formulary—our safe, standard formulary of more than 850 preferred pharmaceuticals is developed by our physicians. They select drugs for the formulary based on clinical evidence and recommendations from our pharmacists, and regularly add or remove drugs based on evaluations of safety, efficacy, and cost-effectiveness.
- Cost-effective prescriptions—our generic prescribing rate averages 85%—and is as high as 98% when a generic is available and appropriate.2 This can save up to 85% in prescription costs.3
- Preventing dangerous drug interactions in seniors—the average older adult takes 5 or more prescription drugs each day.4 With Kaiser Permanente HealthConnect®, our caregivers instantly see all of the medications our senior members have been prescribed, and receive automated alerts to help prevent dangerous drug interactions.
- More informed members—we offer pharmacist consultations for all new and changed prescriptions. That results in additional savings because we’re helping your employees understand how and when to take their medications, and what to do if they miss a dose.